Desktop Support Specialist
Receives, records, and resolves tier 1 and tier 2 requests within Service Level Agreements (SLAs). Resolves problems remotely and over the phone or in a desk side support capacity. Troubleshoots, configures and/or replaces laptop, desktop, and peripheral hardware components. Supports client specific applications within agreed scope. Ensures a high-level of client satisfaction. Installs and configures MS Windows Operating Systems or other operating systems as specified by the client. Installs, configures and supports desktop application software using local and network installation methods and customizes installations using software distribution tools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports clients by receiving, recording, and resolving tier 1 and tier 2 requests. Responds to client requests in multiple communication vehicles (phone, email, in person) in a professional manner while meeting or exceeding agreed upon SLAs. Uses tools such as call-tracking systems, asset tracking systems and knowledge management systems to capture requests, incident details and resolutions to incidents. Communicates incident/project status to client and supervisor/manager. Escalates sensitive, high-priority or technically complex issues as appropriate.
- Installs, configures, and supports computer hardware and software which includes:
- Desktop application software using local and network installation methods, remote control and software distribution tools
- Networking and communications software
- Installs, configures, and supports MS Windows client operating systems which includes:
- Studying and understanding product features to effectively identify the appropriate features to install for a client
- Troubleshooting and repairing more complex desktop operating system problems
- Using designated backup and upgrade procedures to complete an implementation or backout of an implementation when necessary.
- Develops understanding of networks and begins to demonstrate an ability to configure and troubleshoot them. Works with Network Administration personnel to resolve addressing and security issues and to resolve more complex network dependent problems.
- Understands networking, laptop, and desktop hardware and peripherals which include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Configuring and troubleshooting network drives, local and network printers and applications
- Identifying, troubleshooting and replacing desktop network hardware, as well as laptop and desktop hardware components
- Troubleshooting and diagnosing desktop, laptop and printer hardware problems
- Supports Microsoft Office products and Internet browsers by answering end-user questions regarding product offerings and Internet access, respectively.
- Escalates complex questions to more senior engineers or Team Lead.
- Develops an understanding of client/server terminology and basic product functions.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform user administration for a network operating system using client specific naming conventions and security restrictions as required.
- Keeps abreast of industry and/or site trends and changes in technology.
- Incorporates technical knowledge to achieve business objectives. Learns new technologies and obtains certifications to enhance technical expertise.
- Develops and maintains an individual training plan and progresses towards certifications.
- Understands and complies with applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Performs related business duties as assigned.
- Successfully and comprehensively details job related accomplishments in weekly status reports.
- Possesses the ability to professionally and comprehensively create client ready documentation on process and technology.
- Participates in company events and provides information as requested in a timely manner.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field or a Certificate from a Technical School/Institute preferred.
- Good inter-personal skills – lively and enthusiastic personality.
- Customer facing & service-oriented approach.
- Willingness and enthusiasm to master new software products and releases
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Desire and ability to develop skills through on the job learning and formal training courses.
- Ability to converse will all levels of customers.
- Self-starter, willing to take ownership of multiple desktop support disciplines and deal personally with any issues arising
- 2-4 years of personal computer, information systems or related computer business experience required.
- Preferred Certifications:
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
- A+ Certification
- HDI Support Center Analyst
- HDI Desktop Support Technician
- ITIL Foundations