firstPRO is seeking a qualified Desktop Engineer for our client, a large health organization located out of Philadelphia, PA. They are seeking an individual with experience in MS software patching, pushing software out to devices, and image management (build/troubleshoot). The ideal candidate will be able to provide ongoing assistance to the client’s information systems team regarding their MECM system and act as the Level 3 escalation point for their Desktop/Helpdesk Team.
- 100% remote
- Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Compensation: $45/hour
- Type: Contract to Hire
- Develop and tests update packages for workstations and laptops and installs all necessary security and application patches to ensure safe/efficient systems operations.
- Engineer and automate desktop image creation and deployment using LANDesk
- Ensure the desktop is hardened to maintain security within the environment; consistent application and OS security patch updates applied to all production machines
- Test and document new hardware and software installation procedures
- Assume lead role in Windows OS roll-out deployment strategies
- Assume lead role in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure deployment and management in VMware Horizon View environment; ensuring VDI environment is reliable, robust and secure
- Perform root cause analysis to quickly recover from service interruptions, and to prevent recurring problems in the VDI environment
- Analyze and forecast capacity for the VDI environment, provide growth / capacity projections and make recommendations to leadership
- Maintains accurate VDI documentation for setup, configuration, and infrastructure environment (including hardware/software)
- Provide Tier 3 support for the Desktop VDI environment as needed
- Manage processes and technologies to produce comprehensive and integrated application deployments
- Create OS image/build packages, application packages and undertake OS installation/troubleshooting
- Assist in defining hardware standards, engineering, and securing the standard desktop platform, while implementing procedures to ensure consistency with company goals, industry best practices and regulatory requirements
- Support software by troubleshooting systems and applications, training staff and end users, testing software, and working with vendors
- Serve as advanced technical resource to other staff members for application and desktops/laptop problem resolution
- Complete administrative tasks as required, which may include system and process documentation, answering the phone, and responding to inquiries
- Provide secondary role in packaging of applications which reside on Windows client machines
- Participate in solution architecture support for projects and initiatives which integrate with the Windows client infrastructure
- Participate in the development of policies, standards, procedures and processes for the reliable and secure operation of the Windows client environment
- Participate in the development of technical standards related to the secure, reliable implementation of new technologies within the Windows client environment
- Participate in the research of emerging Windows client based technologies and assess business value of implementation
- Support on-call schedule and respond to priority incidents as needed
- Microsoft certified and VMware certified a plus.
- 5+ years of desktop support experience
- 5+ years of Windows 7 experience.
- Windows 10 experience a plus
- Strong understanding of network protocols and configurations (TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, LAN, WAN)
- Strong understanding of machine imaging and deployment methods using LANDesk
- Strong familiarity with multiple peripherals (e.g. printers, scanners, wireless routers, etc.), their use and desktop integration
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, handling a number of projects and initiatives simultaneously through to successful conclusion
- Intermediate knowledge of Active Directory managing groups and users
- Strong understanding of Group Policy
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience in a technical leadership role for the design and implementation of Windows based technologies
- Experience developing polices, standards, procedures and processes to improve operational efficiencies in a Windows based environment
- Flexibility; willingness to travel; ability to react and respond timely to off-hour emergencies.